Another amazing recipe from the America’s Test Kitchen Slow Cooker Revolution book–the savory chicken meat takes on the curry and chutney flavors in a blended fashion that gives you spicy and sweet in the same bite. The apples and almonds add a nice crunch, as well. If you break down whole chickens, this is a great use of whole chicken legs— even though the recipe called for thighs only. Another tweak we might make in the future is to swap out the apples for pineapple–to give the dish an even sweeter taste. Definitely one of the best recipes from the book so far.
NOTE: Chicken does not like to be overcooked, so it’s important not to keep the meat in the slow cooker past it’s cooking time, even on warm.
Country Captain Chicken
Slow Cooker Revolution
- 2 onions, minced
- 1 green bell pepper (stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 5 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1.5 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup mango chutney
- 3/4 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 12 6-oz chicken thighs OR 6 chicken legs (bone-in, skin removed)
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 Granny Smith apple (cored and cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Microwave ingredients through cayenne in a bowl, stirring occasionally until onions are softened (~5 min). Transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir tomatoes with juice, chutney, and broth into slow cooker.
- Season chicken with salt/pepper and nestle into slow cooker–cook on low for 4-6 hours on low.
- Transfer chicken to serving platter and tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let braising liquid settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using a large spoon. Stir in parsley and season with salt/pepper to taste. Spoon 1 cup sauce over chicken, sprinkle with apple and almonds, and serve with remaining sauce.