A week into my health kick, I was looking for a delicious topping for fish tacos that would make me forget that I wasn’t eating cheese or sour cream. What I ended up doing was taking the above salsa recipe, adding in some red cabbage, and creating a deliciously sweet spicy slaw that went perfectly with the broiled tilapia. What was even better is that I used the leftover salsa this morning on my scrambled eggs. It’s a great topping, that’s filling and low-calorie: I figured out the slaw on its own is around 650 calories total for 3 cups, or 100 calories for a half-a-cup serving.
Fish Tacos with Mango-Habanero Slaw
- 1/2 bulb red cabbage, sliced into thin strips
- 1 mango, diced small
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1/4 c. cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 to 1 whole Habanero pepper, stems and seeds removed, diced
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1/2 t. salt
- 2 8 oz. tilapia filets
- Corn tortillas
- Mix together all the veggies in a bowl.
- Broil tilapia filets on high for 5 minutes, until flaky white and 140 degrees.
- Serve on tortillas with slaw on the side, or in the taco.