My second undertaking in the slow cooker was another success. I highly recommend America’s Test Kitchen Slow Cooker Revolution. The recipes have been great so far, the instructions easy to follow, if requiring a little prep-work.
To pair with the meat, I found this great Okra recipe on Epicurious.com that was easy to cook (a quick steam, then sauté with scallions, ginger, and salt). Definitely making that again.
Korean Braised Short Ribs
Slow Cooker Revolution
- 2.5 lbs. bone-in English-style short ribs, meat and bones separated.
- 1 pear, peeled, cored, and chopped coarse
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 scallions, sliced thin
- 4 t. minced or grated fresh ginger
- 1 T. rice vinegar
- 1 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 T. Minute tapioca
- 2 T. minced, fresh cilantro
- Arrange beef bones in a dish and microwave until well-browned, 10-15 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Process pear, soy sauce, garlic, scallions, ginger and vinegar in food processor until smooth, about 1 minute, then transfer to slow cooker. Stir in broth and tapioca.
- Season short ribs with salt and pepper and nestle in slow cooker. Cover and cook until tender, 9-11 hours on low, or 5-7 hours on high.
- Transfer short ribs to serving platter and tent loosely with foil. Let braising liquid settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using a large spoon. Remove bones and season sauce with salt/pepper to taste. Stir in cilantro. Spoon sauce over ribs and serve.