|Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry|
Considering I don’t have a wok, I’ve made two really fantastic stir fries this week. The following jumped out at me while I was recipe surfing because by this point in the month, I would have usually thrown in the towel and ordered Chinese takeout. Before giving into my craving, I thought I might as well try to make it myself and see how it tasted.
Unlike the Pad Thai which didn’t quite match the flavors, this was a pretty decent replication. I have adjusted the recipe below to bump up the spiciness factor–feel free to check out the original if you want to soften the blow, but I found the original recipe slightly bland and very Americanized.
Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
Cooking Light, March 2010
Serves 4: Calories 476, Fat 12.9g, Protein 32.1g, Carb 52g, Sodium 523mg
Note: Cooking Light said it only takes 25 minutes, but they don’t account for the ingredient prep–add another 10 for cutting up the veggies.
- 2 (3 1/2-ounce) bags boil-in-bag long-grain white rice
- 2 T. dry sherry, divided
- 2 T. lower-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1 t. sugar
- 1 lb. boneless sirloin steak, cut diagonally across grain into thin slices
- 1/2 cup lower-sodium beef broth
- 1 T. cornstarch
- 1 T. hoisin sauce
- 1 T. Sriracha (hot chile sauce) (originally 1 teaspoon)
- 2 T. canola oil, divided
- 1 T. bottled ground fresh ginger
- 2 t. minced garlic
- 4 cups prechopped broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- Cook rice according to directions.
- While rice cooks, combine 1 tablespoon sherry, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, sugar, and add to beef.
- Stir together 1 tablespoon sherry, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, broth, cornstarch, hoisin, and Sriracha.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef mixture; sauté 3 minutes or until browned. Remove beef from pan.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan. Add ginger and garlic; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add broccoli and 1/4 cup water; cook 1 minute. Add onions; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add broth mixture and beef mixture; cook 2 minutes or until beef is thoroughly heated and sauce is slightly thick. Serve beef mixture over rice.